Trademark Usage and Guidelines
SYSTRAN trademarks, service marks, and logos (the “Marks”) are valuable assets of SYSTRAN and may be used publicly only with permission from SYSTRAN. To protect the value of these assets, SYSTRAN must maintain control over the manner in which the Marks are used. SYSTRAN has established the following set of guidelines for properly using the Marks. If these guidelines are not followed, SYSTRAN will take all appropriate measures to preserve the strength of and retain its exclusive rights to use its marks.
A trademark is any word, name, symbol, design, means, or device adopted and used by a manufacturer or merchant to identify its goods and distinguish them from those manufactured or sold by others. Properly used, a trademark can be legally protected indefinitely. However if it is used improperly, a trademark can become diluted or fall into generic status and lose its legal protection. Correct and consistent use of the Marks is essential to maintaining their viability and value so the following rules must be complied with when using the Marks.
- When using a Mark in text, never use it as other than an adjective. The Mark must always be followed by the noun it modifies.
- Highlight or set off the Mark from adjoining text. This may be done by properly capitalizing the Mark and using the appropriate symbol, either ®, ™ or sm. A Mark may also be highlighted or set off from adjoining text by using underlining, italics or bold type.
- Never combine a Mark with a trademark or name belonging to someone else. If SYSTRAN's Marks are combined with those of another company, there may be confusion as to SYSTRAN's ownership of its Mark and/or to the source of the goods sold under the Mark.
- Use the appropriate symbols and give proper attribution. If the Mark is to be used repeatedly in a piece of material, the appropriate symbol should be used with the Mark after the first, most prominent use, and if there are multiple pages, once on each page.
- Do not display the Marks on packaging, documentation, collateral material, or advertising in any manner that suggests that the Marks belong to anyone other than SYSTRAN Software, Inc.
- Do not use the name “SYSTRAN” as part of a corporate or business name or otherwise suggest that it is owned or controlled by you.
- Do not cause any advertising to be published, or make any representation (oral or written), that might mislead the public or that is detrimental to the goodwill of the SYSTRAN name or the Software Products.
- All uses of the Marks shall inure to the benefit of SYSTRAN.
- Title and all rights of ownership to the Software Products, and all copies or any part thereof, shall remain with SYSTRAN at all times.
- SYSTRAN copyright shall read: "Copyright © [insert year] SYSTRAN Software, Inc. All rights reserved."